Wright-Patterson officials continue to review security in the wake of the shootings at the U.S. Naval Yard shooting earlier this week. Colonel Cassie Barlow told reporters at a press conference that there is support available, from mental health services, to substance abuse and education programs, and the sexual assault and victim advocates program. Barlow says employees are trained in identifying odd behavior, and she emphasized that working as a team, or what she calls "wingmen", will help combat tragedies like what happened this week.
A court martial begins Monday for an Air Force officer based at Wright-Patterson Force Base accused of sex related crimes. Lt. Col Reginald W. Kabban is accused of unlawful sex acts with a child over a six year period during his time in Centerville, Ohio and Virginia. The Air Force reports there is only one victim involved in the charges.
Kabban is the deputy chief of a development and planning branch of the Life Cycle Management Center, which reports to Air Force Materiel Command. He joined the Air Force in 1995 and promoted to Lieutenant in 2011.
Following Monday’s shootings at the Naval Yard in Washington D.C., 88th Air Base Wing Commander Col. Cassie Barlow says Wright-Patterson officials are revisiting their security plans for the Air Force marathon this weekend.
“We looked at our security requirements today and we made a few tweaks and changes to address the threat," says Barlow. "But it’s always a good idea to switch up force protections at the gate so we can ultimately be prepared.”
Barlow did not say specifically what new measures are in place, but says runners should be prepared for enhanced security.
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in southwest Ohio says budget tightening has postponed millions of dollars in infrastructure projects at the base this year.
The Dayton Daily News reports the delayed projects at Wright-Patterson include installing miles of water lines in different areas and replacing heating and ventilation equipment at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force.
Spokesman William Hancock tells the newspaper the projects aren't being undertaken in the current fiscal year but haven't been canceled. The next fiscal year starts Oct. 1.