WYSO Weekend: March 2, 2014
By Jerry Kenney • Mar 3, 2014
In this edition of WYSO Weekend:
- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel announced some details about the proposed military budget to be released by President Obama next week. The Air Force—and Wright-Patterson Air Force Base—could see some major changes in the coming years.
- Also this week, Lewis took a look at the Dayton Metro Library expansion. The library begins construction this spring on the first part of a major reorganization, starting with the E.C. Doren branch in Old North Dayton.
- Ohio Secretary of State John Husted announced early voting hours throughout the state for the coming May and November elections; the matter of voting hours has caused flare-ups among elections officials and legislators in the past. In an interview with WYSO, Husted says he simply enacted a bipartisan proposal from the Ohio Association of Elected Officials (OAEO), and only after legislators had refused to act.
- Reporter Lewis Wallace returns with Under Construction.
- This past week, WYSO launched an exciting new series of stories called Rediscovered Radio. WYSO General Manager Neenah Ellis offers some background on the series.
- In an even earlier era , seventy years ago, the country was deep into World War Two, and the US was on the offensive in the air. WYSO’s Aviation Commentator Dan Patterson says that the big US four engine bombers were being shot down in shocking numbers.