In this edition of WYSO Weekend: Information on today's annual WYSO Open House. Come out to the station anytime between 2 - 6pm! Later in the program our very own Juliet Fromholt will give us the details on this YSO Family event!!!
- The Republicans are coming to Cleveland in 20-16. On Tuesday, the Republican National Committee announced heavily Democratic Cleveland will host the GOP’s presidential convention, beating out the heavily Republican city of Dallas. As WKSU’s Kevin Niedermier reports…bi-partisanship, teamwork and community spirit are being credited for the decision.
- Sinclair Community College in Dayton has announced a partnership with Ohio State University on its unmanned aerial system (UAS) or drone program. The college recently got news of a $4 million grant from the state to improve its facilities for teaching about drones. Now they’ll will team up with Ohio State to offer people who get UAS certificates or associate’s degrees options to complete a degree at OSU in data analytics or geospatial precision agriculture; and OSU students will be able to take classes at Sinclair to earn a certificate or degree. At a press conference last week, we spoke with David Williams about the new partnership and the details of UAS technology’s use in precision agriculture.
- So drones are coming and Experts say the aviation industry is growing too, and that means hundreds of thousands of openings for qualified job seekers. Ohio Public Radio’s Karen Kasler reports experts in the state known as the “birthplace of aviation” say now’s the time to launch efforts to fill those jobs.
- Perhaps some of those needed workers will come from right here in the Miami Valley. Springfield's former South High School, built in the early 1900s, is on its way to becoming an educational hub for students. Recently, a consortium of four local schools received $11.3 million from the state's Straight A grant program for the renovation. South High will now be called the Greater Springfield Career ConnectED Center. WYSO’s Wayne Baker spoke with Josh Jennings, the director of the Global Impact Stem Academy about the Hub and the Academy's progress.
- Juliet Fromholt tells us all about our annual open house, which begins at 2pm today! Also in this segment, live music from the Negative Ghost Riders who will play in the live broadcast segment of our open house - 2 - 4pm.
- Bill Felker brings clarity to the living world around us with Poor Will's Miami Valley Almanack.