Wed June 8, 2011
Update: Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix Off Again
It looks like Bahrain will not be hosting a Formula One Grand Prix in October, as was announced last week.
The BBC reports that:
"Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone has said October's reinstated Bahrain Grand Prix cannot go ahead. The race was due to open the season in March but was called off because of civil unrest. Last week the FIA restored it to the calendar.
" 'Hopefully we can return in the future, but of course it's not on,' Ecclestone [has since] told BBC Sport's Dan Roan."
Too many teams objected to racing there because of the Bahraini government's harsh crackdown earlier this year on reform-minded protesters.
The advocacy group Avaaz organized an online petition against a grand prix in Bahrain. It has more than 450,000 "signatures."