Job Posting: WYSO Training and Volunteer Coordinator
Title: WYSO Training and Volunteer Coordinator
Classification: Exempt, Administrative Associate
Department: WYSO Public Radio
Supervisor: WYSO General Manager
WYSO-FM is a 50,000-watt non-commercial radio station operating at 91.3 FM. The station is licensed to the Board of Trustees of Antioch University and broadcasts from studios in Yellow Springs, Ohio. WYSO is the most listened to public radio station for Dayton, Springfield, and the Miami Valley of Ohio and provides NPR, PRI and BBC services in addition to locally produced programming. Financial support for the station is provided by listener contributions, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, underwriting, the Ohio Educational Telecommunications Network Commission, and Antioch University.
Its 24-hour schedule includes NPR news and information programs, BBC World Service overnight, as well as locally-produced news, information, poetry, storytelling and music program-ming.
Duties and Responsibilities:
WYSO seeks an energetic individual with exceptional interpersonal communication and radio production skills. The primary functions of this job are:
• to coordinate and teach WYSO’s Community Voices courses (both in the classroom and online);
• to supervise interns, fellows and other programming volunteers (excluding volunteer music hosts;
• to coordinate volunteers for various WYSO activities like fund drives and other events that require the help of
• Other duties as assigned.
This person will show a demonstrated ability to teach radio production skills, including digital audio editing, writing for radio, story structure, field recording , and microphone techniques.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in communications or related field required.
• Minimum 3 years of radio production experience, preferably in public radio.
• Excellent communication and decision-making skills required
• Understanding, and appreciation for, the distinctive nature of public radio in the media landscape
• Requires a passion for creating high-quality local radio programming and the ability to work with people of all ages and backgrounds.
• Must be results-oriented, self-motivated and professional with impeccable programming ethics
• Demonstrated experience converting audio to broadcast, online and podcast uses.
• High-level ability to use computers and other broadcast technology including experience running a live audio control board. Experience with Hindenberg, WordPress and Final Cut Pro software a plus.
• Requires superb interpersonal skills to work effectively and/or interact with other staff and administration at WYSO, volunteers, interns and students.
• Excellent public speaking skills a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Application and Deadline:
Qualified applicants should submit a letter of interest, a resume, and the names and contact information for three (3) professional references to:
Karen Snyder, SPHR
Antioch University, Human Resources
888 Dayton Street, Suite 102
Yellow Springs, Ohio 45387
(937) 769-1377 FAX
To insure full consideration, applications should be received by July 1, 2012. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.