Fifty-five years ago, on February 8, 1958, WYSO began broadcasting.
It was students who did all the legwork to get the station licensed and ready. After many years of un-licensed, unofficial broadcasting on the campus of Antioch College, WYSO went on the air with 19 watts of power. They gathered expectantly on the second floor of the student union building in the new studios. At 8pm, Bruce Johanson, script in hand, stepped up to the microphone.
A couple of our favorite programs have gone weekly!
Previously, Radiolab and The Moth Radio Hour came to us in seasons - just a handful of episodes at a time.
Now, you can hear a brand new episode every single week. Tune in Sundays at 6pm for new episodes of Radiolab, a radio show weaving stories and science into sound and music-rich documentaries, hosted by Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich. Then, Sundays at 11pm it's true stories told live without notes on The Moth Radio Hour.
The Boards of Antioch College and Antioch University agreed in principle to a plan that would transfer ownership of the non-commercial FM radio station WYSO to the College and eliminates any future rights of the University to have claim on Antioch College's campus or endowment.
WYSO operates at 50,000 watts in the Charles Kettering Building at 150 E. South College Street. Ownership of the station and the building remained with Antioch University when an alumni-led group purchased the College and most of its assets in September 2009, more than a year after closure.