Nearly 9,000 employees of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base remain on emergency furlough following the federal government shutdown, and workers and businesses are worried about the financial impact, particularly if the partial shutdown is prolonged.
Wright-Patt officials estimate that for every day the government stays closed, the Dayton area loses $5 million in wages.
Services agencies across Ohio are spending an estimated $1.2 million a year trying to locate and get information to military veterans about benefits.
The Dayton Daily News reports that county agencies pay for billboards, newspaper ads and other outreach efforts as they struggle to find veterans. The president of Warren County's veterans service commission says it spends a lot of money on postage trying to reach veterans, but officials said a major outreach effort by mail in 2008 resulted in a response rate under 10 percent.
Wright-Patterson officials continue to review security in the wake of the shootings at the U.S. Naval Yard shooting earlier this week. Colonel Cassie Barlow told reporters at a press conference that there is support available, from mental health services, to substance abuse and education programs, and the sexual assault and victim advocates program. Barlow says employees are trained in identifying odd behavior, and she emphasized that working as a team, or what she calls "wingmen", will help combat tragedies like what happened this week.
A court martial begins Monday for an Air Force officer based at Wright-Patterson Force Base accused of sex related crimes. Lt. Col Reginald W. Kabban is accused of unlawful sex acts with a child over a six year period during his time in Centerville, Ohio and Virginia. The Air Force reports there is only one victim involved in the charges.
Kabban is the deputy chief of a development and planning branch of the Life Cycle Management Center, which reports to Air Force Materiel Command. He joined the Air Force in 1995 and promoted to Lieutenant in 2011.